Truth and Reconciliation Week

This week with the government proclaiming Thursday, Sept. 30 as the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation our learning intention in the classroom was to take the time to learn, recognize and honour residential school survivors, their families and communities. Through the use of some wonderful age-appropriate books, the students had some very respectful and mature conversations about our Canadian history. We would also like to thank Ms. Rowland and Ms. Paradis's grade 1/2 class for providing the entire school with a wonderfully touching virtual assembly that educated our students about the significance of Orange Shirt Day. 

Our conversations this week also connected to the importance of community.  We discussed what a community is, how being a part of a community feels and what unique communities we belong to that help support our own individuality. 

How do you feel when you are a part of a community?  (As shared by the grade 2/3 students in room 8) 

Happy

Confident

Like I can make new friends

Brave because I can try things I have never done before

Freedom to be me

I get to try new things

Sad when I am not having fun with the activity

It makes me feel normal 

I feel grateful 

I feel smart 

Respected

Like I belong

I feel positive 

Included

Less scary

At peace 

Peaceful

Strong


Please take a look at a few of the videos we watched below. 





Phyllis’s Orange Shirt by Phyllis Webstad

When I was Eight

Why Wear an Orange Shirt?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emily Carr

Week of June 26th